Monday, December 7, 2009

A few words about the banner/logo

I realize some of you might be intrigued and curious about the logo that's part of my banner. And then some of you might not give a rat's ass. But since this blog is my little corner of the internet, I'm gonna talk about it anyway. ;-)

Symbols, emblems, flags are fascinating in that they can evoke feelings of pride, anger, resistance and passion.

People have known this since time immemorial and incorporated them into their movements of resistance. Women have the universal Venus symbol denoting female (sometimes with a raised fist in the middle of the circle.) LGBT people have the pink triangle and the pride flag. And people of colour have had a variety of different emblems denoting their resistance. African-Americans have the fist of black power. First Nations people here in Canada have had various emblems denoting their resistance. And of course, the national flags of many third world countries started out as emblems of resistance against the colonial powers.

In short, they're a great way of saying "fuck you" to kyriarchy and the status quo.

So shouldn't PWD have one of their own? I don't know of one, but I think it's high time we did. So I designed one completely original. I know some of you might like it others might not. Why the wheelchair symbol, you may ask. Some may see that as being a bit too narrow, since that doesn't cover people with invisible disabilities and even for people with physical disabilities, many of them don't need wheelchairs. I thought about this, but in the end I decided the wheelchair was the one to go with because of its universal recognition for disability.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I like the logo in your header because it has fight in it.

    And spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I contemplated having the person in the wheelchair extending hir middle finger instead of a fist, but I thought the fist worked better. Besides it made for an easier PhotoShop job.

    ReplyDelete