Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Grand Opening

And so this is it...

The debut of my new (and for that matter first) blog. I think the banner along with the title gives you some idea what this blog will mostly be about. I am a PWD. For those that don't know, that's an acronym for 'Person With a Disability, or 'People With Disabilities', if you're referring to the general PWD community.

That's right - 'community'.

If you've found your way here, chances are there's some of you who already identify as a PWD. And many of you probably are just as aware of something I've been for a while now; that compared to other oppressed/marginalized groups like women, people of colour, LGBT people, disability is far too often not acknowledged as a factor that determines one's status in society as a result of discrimination and inequality. I'll be writing a bit more about this in greater detail, but this article by Marta Russell does a good job of explaining what I'm taking about, and the greater implications for the PWD community:

To be fair, I do see small signs of this changing, but there's still a ways to go.

But I expect I'll also be blogging about the other 'isms' racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, transphobia and sizeism, as they naturally concern me as well. Of course, there's the whole issue of intersectionality as well. I'll also be writing about other miscellaneous subjects of interest as they come up. My job is to inform and educate, but I hope I learn more in the process too.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Niall!

    I look forward to reading and following your blog. It's really awesome that you are bringing light to an often-overlooked social justice issue. I have realized just how far I have to come on these issues and am doing my best to learn what it means to be an ally.

    You're a great writer, and I am sure that will carry over in your blog.

    -Mudkip

    ReplyDelete